June 2019 Newsletter
Betty Mitchell was a beloved member of our club for many, many years! There will be a memorial event honoring Betty Mitchell’s life:
Wednesday, June 5, at Valhalla from 3 – 5 pm.
Mary Lou Whitcomb
Support Plus Chair
“Come Celebrate! The sun is up!”
The birds did sing,
And so I opened a weary eye in hope that it was spring.
To my surprise, what greeted me was a magical affair
The wonderment of new beginnings was present everywhere.
In April you received an annual dues notice by email. For those of you who have not paid (and that is about half of our membership) your dues are now past due. Dues for Life members are $70 and for Regular (which includes Club Life) members, dues are $168 for the next year. Please bring a check or cash to the meeting on June 5 and give it to the attendance table OR go to PayPal from our club website (sislt.org) to pay. We appreciate your immediate payment. If you have any questions, please contact Cheryl Chambers or Lee Moisio.
On May 8, the results of the election for next year’s Board of Directors were announced. Thank you to everyone who ran for office and congratulations to those who won.
The following individuals have already been elected to their positions:
Jenn Lukins — President
Liz Palmer — Director (one-year)
Vicki Gonzales — Alternate Delegate (one-year)
Pam Barrett — Past-president
The following individuals were elected to their positions:
Jane Flavin — President-elect
Annie Davidson — Vice-president
Julie Gudaitis — Recording Secretary
Rosemary Wood — Corresponding Secretary
Ginger Mitchell — Treasurer
Janey Roeser — Director (two-year)
Aletha Nelligan — Delegate (one-year)
Norma Seveloh — Delegate (two-year)
Peggy Blowney — Alternate Delegate (two-year)
- Approved to send a letter of invitation for membership to Chelsea Zermani
- Approved to recommend going dark on July 3, 2019 and on every 5th Wednesday of the month (July 31, October 30, January 29, April 29)
- Voted not to recommend the balance of the Contingency Fund on June 30, 2019, be spent to offset registration fees for three members attending the 21st Soroptimist International Convention
- Passed unanimously to go dark on July 3, July 31, October 30, January 29 and April 29.
- The motion to recommend that the balance of the Contingency Fund as of June 30, 2019, be used to offset registration fees for three members attending the 21st Soroptimist International Convention in Malaysia was withdrawn after a lengthy discussion.
Several important things are happening this month. First, on June 12, Immediate Past Federation President Dawn Marie Lemonds will be speaking at our meeting about all things Soroptimist. I hope you will all make a special effort to attend the meeting. Second, Finance Committee Chair Lee Moisio presented the proposed 2019-2020 budget in May. The Board will vote to approve the budget at its meeting on July 8 and the Foundation membership will ratify the budget at the Business meeting on July 10. And finally, at our meeting on June 26, we will hold the installation ceremony for the new Board of Directors. I hope you will plan to attend all these important meetings.
A BIG thank you to Education & Youth Committee chair Janey Roeser and all her committee members on a wonderful scholarship presentation program. I think we were all impressed by the scholarship winners this year.
Our Soroptimist year is coming to an end and I want to thank everyone for their support over the last two years—especially Board members and committee chairs. Without members who are willing to give of their time and expertise, we would not be able to contribute to our community to the level we do. During the past two years, I believe we have worked hard to overcome change that was thrust upon us, but we have weathered the storm and have a bright future ahead. President-elect Jenn is hard at work getting her year as president organized. She has some wonderful ideas for our club and I hope all of you will support her during her presidency.
I will be on vacation for the next couple weeks; President-elect Jenn and Vice-president Annie will be conducting the meetings.
- COLLEEN MANZER, chair of this year’s wine tasting announced the date – November 1 and it will be at Harrah’s …
- our Gift of Literacy program and gift backpacks was held at LTCC and was well received by the children …
- CATHY DICAMILLO and 3 of her 4 sisters had reunion/vacation in Mexico …
- VELMA SCHNOLL will be working soon and her trips will take her to Vietnam, Japan, Madagascar and Maui (nice work if you can get it!) …
- ROBERTA BENVENUTO and ROSEMARY WOOD trotted the “Bay to Breakers” in San Francisco – wow! …
- ALETHA NELLIGAN will be in the upcoming LTCC production – details later …
- LINDA MITCHELL announced “Music of the Americas” to be held at South Tahoe High School theater, Saturday June 7 and Sunday, June 8 …
- ANNIE DAVIDSON wil participate in the Songwriter’s Showcase on June 7 at Unity at the Lake…
- ROBERTA MASON’S granddaughter will be one of the first to receive a Master’s degree via the LTCC expanded program but the ceremony will be at Sacramento State …
- PAM BARRETT announced that her sister-in-law, Barbara Barrett has been nominated by Donald Trump for Secretary of the Air Force …
- Sad to announce that former member, CYNDY HOUCK has died of cancer …
- the memorial for BETTY MITCHELL will be June 5 (would have been her 97th birthday) from 3-5 pm at Valhalla ….
- the memorial for Doug Madden, MICKEY’S husband, will be June 23, 1-4 pm at Lakeland Village.
Peggy Thomas — 6/11
Pam Barrett — 6/14
Davey Paiva — 6/16
Julie Warmbold — 6/16
Kathy Allyn — 6/19
Carolyn Meiers — 6/25
6/5 2019-2020 Committees, Jenn Lukins, Harrah’s
6/12 Past Federation President Dawn Marie Lemonds (Introduced by Del Laine), Harrah’s
6/19 Andrea Bollakis & Stephanie Nistler, Humane Society (Introduced by Roberta Benvenuto), Harveys Garden Room
6/26 2019-2020 Board of Directors Installation, Harrah’s
The members of Soroptimist International of Tahoe Sierra invite you to attend the installation of the club’s 2019-2020 Board of Directors
The members of Soroptimist International of Tahoe Sierra invite you to attend the installation of the club’s 2019-2020 Board of Directors.
DATE: Thursday, June 27, 2019
WHERE: Home of Wendy David, 1300 Keller Rd., South Lake Tahoe, CA
TIME: Social Hour 5:00-6:00 p.m.
Installation followed by Dinner 6:00 p.m.
Please RSVP to Nancy Muller at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, June 21
2019-2020 SITS Board
President Kim Valverde
President Elect Janna York
Service Fund Treasurer Jean Bergner
General/Delegate Fund Treasurer Jackie Nelson
Recording Secretary Colleen Pence
Corresponding Secretary Diana Turner
Delegate 2 year Lydia Rogers
Delegate 1 year JoAnn Tillson
Director 2 year Mandy Kendall
Director 1 year Paula Peterson
Past President Nancy Muller
Parliamentarian Wendy David
The 49th Annual “An Evening of Food and Wine Tasting” returns to the Harrah’s venue.
Our event is scheduled for Friday, November 1 at Harrah’s. Please start passing the word to friends and business associates to Save The Date. Please try and not schedule trips out of town until November 2 if possible. We really need your help and support for our only large fundraiser this year. We will have a large item raffle, a cork raffle and also an old fashioned silent auction. The silent auction will be smaller than what we used to have in the past but it will return by popular demand from our guests that like the social aspect of it. Also, we will have more highboy tables with chairs to sit at than what we had in the past. The wine committee is pleased to return the event to this larger and quieter venue. We hope this helps you sell lots of tickets this year.
Just a reminder to all that your RSVP to the weekly attendance notice is important.
- We need to give Harrah’s or Harveys numbers by 12:30 on the Monday before a meeting. An accurate count keeps our expenses way down and helps the venue plan the amount of food needed.
- Remember that if you register properly you will receive both an immediate acknowledgement at the site AND an email thanking you for registering.
- If you forget or think something is wrong, you can email or call me to get on the list. We always try to accommodate you.
- Register by going to our calendar and select the upcoming lunch meeting. If registration is closed, please email or contact Linda Mitchell directly.
**AND PLEASE LET US KNOW IF SOMETHING CHANGES AND YOU ARE UNABLE TO COME ONCE YOU HAVE REGISTERED!