South Lake Tahoe, California, October 2, 2019-–Soroptimist International of South Lake Tahoe (SISLT) is part of a global volunteer organization that provides women and girls with access to education and training they need to achieve economic empowerment. Locally, SISLT is actively involved in ongoing service to the South Lake Tahoe community through educational scholarships, achievement awards, grant programs, and volunteerism that directly benefits women and youth. Since its inception in 1958, SISLT has donated over $2 million to over 50 local organizations, including over $300,000 in scholarships and awards.
Over the past decade, SISLT has allocated a percentage of annual funds raised to a Major Project Fund, with the intention of sponsoring a major community project that would meet a series of developed criterion and ultimately leave a lasting legacy in South Lake Tahoe. SISLT has evaluated several excellent project proposals from various local agencies and non-profits and is very excited to announce that the club has selected a project.
The Soroptimist Softball Renovation Project will provide much needed improvements to the current softball field located next to the South Tahoe Middle School, and will revitalize interest and participation in the girls youth softball organization. Softball teaches the experience of winning, but more importantly, how to carry on in defeat and build confidence by trying again. Girls learn to work with others and to set goals as a group; are empowered to achieve more as individuals; and develop leadership skills to last a lifetime. The $325,000.00 project consists of the following upgrades:
- Architectural drawings, surveys, permits and site utilities;
- Site clearing, grubbing, grading, erosion control and revegetation;
- Renovation of the current parking to a drop-off area with ADA parking;
- Paving a pathway to access the South Tahoe Middle School parking lot;
- Adding a player warm up area;
- Building closed dugouts with benches;
- Purchasing large spectator bleachers and scoreboard;
- Erecting new fencing for backstop, dugouts, gates and current perimeter to allow fee collection at tournaments; and
- Adding site furnishings, for example, a PA system, new bases, water fountains, and signage.
SISLT is committed to ensuring that women and youth in our community have the resources and opportunities to reach their full potential and live their dreams.
We invite our fellow community members to join us at the 49th Annual, An Evening of Food, Beer and Wine Tasting on Friday, November 1, 2019, from 6:00pm – 9:00pm at Harrah’s Lake Tahoe, to celebrate this great accomplishment and help SISLT raise funds for the future needs of our community. Visit www.sislt.org for more information.