New Committee By President Pam

At the Board meeting on July 9, I announced the disbanding of the ad hoc Awareness, Advocacy and Action (AAA) Committee which has been instrumental in the Foundation’s work on human trafficking.  In place of this committee, I have established a standing committee called “Partners Against Trafficking.” This name reflects the committee’s involvement as partners with Partners Against Trafficking Humans (PATH).  Cindy Archer will continue as chair of this committee.  You will note that the Partners Against Trafficking Committee is not shown above in the list of committees taking sign-ups.  This is because the committee is full for this year.  Remember, ALL committees should be conscious of awareness, advocacy and action!!

Please follow and like us:

Vacant Board of Directors Position By President Pam

With Annie Davidson’s election to Vice-president, the One-year Alternate Delegate position is now vacant.  Foundation By-laws Article V, Section 2(c) says, “In the event of a vacancy in the office of the President, the President-elect shall become the President.  If there is a vacancy in any other officer position, the Board shall act as a nominating committee and recommend nominees to the membership for a vote.”

At the July 30 Board meeting, the Board will nominate a member(s) for the vacant One-year Alternate Delegate position.  At the Business meeting on August 1, nominations will be taken from the floor and an election will be held.   If you have a nomination to fill this position, please get the approval of the nominee prior to making the nomination at the Business meeting.

 

Please follow and like us:

Sample the Sierra By President Pam

If you missed our meeting on July 11, you missed our discussion about participating in the 9th Annual Sample the Sierra, Lake Tahoe’s largest farm-to-fork festival, sponsored by the Tahoe Chamber.  The members voted to participate in this event on Saturday, September 15, at Bijou Community Park.  We will be responsible for the Wine Sales Tent at the event.  People who attend Sample the Sierra (and I hear the number is in the thousands) have the opportunity to purchase a ticket for unlimited winetasting.  Twelve to sixteen wineries will be available for tasting.  When someone tastes a wine they want to purchase, they will be referred to our Soroptimist Wine Sales Tent to purchase bottles of the wines being served.  Our club will have purchased cases of the wines prior to the event at a discounted price and we will sell them at retail.  The profit will be ours.  We can use any wine not sold at our winetasting event and we can promote our winetasting event and sell tickets at this event.  In addition to staffing the Wine Sales Tent, the Chamber has asked us to provide general volunteers for this fun event. I will be taking sign-ups to participate in this event at our meeting on July 25.

 

Please follow and like us:

Board and Business Meeting Actions in July By President Pam

At the Board meeting on July 9 and the Business meeting on July 11, the following recommendations and actions were taken:

  • The Board recommended revisions to Foundation By-laws, Article V, Sections 5.1 and 5.3.
  • The Board approved an electronic vote on the By-law changes to Article V, Sections 5.1 and 5.3.
  • The Board approved the 2018-2019 Budget as recommended by the Finance Committee; the Foundation ratified the 2018-2019 budget as approved by the Board
  • The Foundation voted to participate in Sample the Sierra (see article)
  • The Foundation voted not to participate in Reef’s Run

 

Please follow and like us:

Notes From President Pam

Our 60th Anniversary Celebration is coming up on Sunday, July 29, at Lake Tahoe Golf Course.  I hope you are planning to join us.  It will be an opportunity to visit with current and former members of our club in a relaxed atmosphere.  There will be a cash bar with appetizers followed by a buffet lunch.  Plan to arrive at 11:00 am

If you have not yet RSVP’d, please contact Del Laine at (530) 544-6249 or me at (530) 545-3388 or zippygirl1@att.net IMMEDIATELY Pat Gottschalk is putting together an historical display so if you have anything related to our club’s history (newspaper articles, photos, etc.) tucked away in a drawer or closet, please contact her at peprmnt728@aol.com.

In other news, committee sign-ups are underway.  If you have not yet signed up for a committee, please email me at zippygirl1@att.net with the committee(s) you would like to be involved with this year.  Feel free to sign up for more than one committee–I suggest being involved with a Service Committee and a Technical Committee.  I would like to have everyone signed-up by the end of this month.  Listed below are the committees you have to choose from—there is something for everyone!

SERVICE COMMITTEES TECHNICAL COMMITTEES

Allocations
Attendance
Awards
Communications
Cultural Arts
Financial Services
Education & Youth
Laws & Resolutions
Environment Programs
A Fighting Chance
Recruitment & Retention
Major Project
S Club
Winetasting
Human Rights/Status of Women
Women’s Health

 

Please follow and like us:

Notes From Our Planning Meeting June 20, 2018

Thank you to Cheryl Chambers for this transcript of our meeting on 6/20/18!

President-Elect Natasha Schue opened the meeting with a recap of our last planning meeting.  “It’s a great time for us to come together in front of the community for our 60th birthday celebration, and helps set the platform for this year’s wine tasting.”

  • Carolyn MacRae – suggests a fund raising committee to consider all opportunities (we had one in the past, it was called Ways & Means and all members were a member of the committee.  It encompassed all fund raising we did at the time.)
  • Vicki Gonzales – using our voice for humanitarian purposes
  • Cathy Donovan – our wine tasting event is very well received in the community and should continue.
  • Linda Mendizabal – let’s find something else to replace the wine tasting after this year.
  • Cheryl Chambers – we should investigate corporate sponsors.
  • Peggy Blowney – find another fund raiser, perhaps in the summer months, or maybe something during the holiday season.
  • Lee Moisio – we need a fund raiser and the wine tasting is successful.  Let’s keep it.  We definitely need more member participation at the event.  But more importantly, what is our brand?  What do we want to accomplish? Let’s pick our objective of what we want to be.
  • Annie Davidson – wine tasting is established, but losing steam in our club.  What can we do with it? It doesn’t have to be just about the money.  It provides a big party for the community.  Maybe we could get Edgewood/NBC to use their voice at the golf tournament against human trafficking.  Let’s not get too bound by what we’ve always done and do things that bring us together.
  • Carolyn – tired of wine tasting, however we should keep it for now.  It’s a lot of work.  Maybe we could do a couple smaller raffles such as “glamping” and raffle off a refurbished Airstream trailer, with the money going to a specific project.
  • Natasha – look into a fund raiser where we bring Jaycee Lee Dugard to town for a talk to our community.
  • Roberta Benvenuto– we should use the major project money.
  • Cathy DeCamillo- what are our goals for 1, 3 and 5 years?  We are a club that fund raises.  We need a common goal to motivate us.  What do we want the club to look like?
  • Liz Beispel – we’ve lost our passion.  Can we focus the wine tasting on our goals?  Make it stand for the things we stand for, such as women’s rights, promoting schools and the arts, etc.
  • Linda Denton – re-evaluate whether we want the major project or not.
  • Vicki – do we want our own project or do we want to raise money for other non-profits and their projects?
  • Natasha – build momentum towards a cause, such as helping a family who’s escaped from human trafficking.
  • Hanna Bernard  – pick a purpose every year and target our fund raising for that purpose.  Get our dues down lower to attract more members.
  • Louisa Boone – let’s re-estsablish our identity, similar to Wells Fargo ad: established in 1852, re-established in 2018….
  • Ellen Camacho – let’s find something to do with all our golf equipment such as selling refreshments at events, etc.
  • Linda Mitchell – Do we still want to be associated with Soroptimist?  Or just become Lake Tahoe Women’s service club?  What are we?  What is our purpose?  What do we want to be?  We used to do a lot of service, Rim Trail campground…hands on activities.
  • Cindy Archer – let’s connect to something great in our community, possibly the Library.  We could be a support system for something like that.
  • Del Laine – We used to be locally based, not Federation based.  That’s all changed now and SIA wants our money.  Most of our club dues go to Federation, we only retain a small part of it.  Let’s evaluate who we want to be.  The average time we used to keep members was 10-15 years, now new members coming in only stay about 3 years.  Our future is with younger women.  We should be more concerned with who we are rather than how to raise our money.  Our 60th anniversary party is coming up July 29th, lots of former members are coming.  Let’s embrace change.  Involvement is important.  Let’s make the wine tasting the best it’s ever been, then stop it.
  • Liz – we should get a professional consultant to help us pull it all together.  As for the major project, we could consider giving an endowment to the college for women’s education.
  • Linda – doesn’t want to give up the wine tasting until we have something in place that’s successful.
  • Carolyn – we have the expertise in our club, we don’t need to hire a consultant.  Networking should be more important.  Going forward, we need the structure that Soroptimist provides.  We could help women with Masters and Doctorate programs, not just scholarships for high school students and undergrad degrees.
  • Pat Disney – We should start by answering 2 questions:  Do we want to be a Soroptimist Club? Do we want to be a Tahoe women’s group?  Once these questions are answered we can go forward.  Maybe send out a survey to all members.
  • Lee – how do we want to continue spending our money, one big thing or continue with allocations process?  Do we want a number of different focuses?  We should pick an overall theme.
  • Natasha – this is a pivotal time.  A certain amount of service clubs are dependent on our donations to them, do we want that?
  • Cathy – our club has looked for needs in the community and we try to support them.  Major project committee has had a hard time finding a perfect project that meets our criteria.  We’re going to take another look at our criteria.  Let’s not vote on whether we want the major project or not, let’s let the committee do their job.  Let’s not get rid of money we’ve taken 15+ years to save.
  • MaryLou Whitcomb – we need to know what we want to be before we consider cutting off from Soroptimist.  We need to know what other organizations are out there that we could possibly join.  Or do we want to be our own group?
  • Abby Ouimet – All non-profit groups go through this.  She joined soroptimist because we are strong engaged women in our community.  She can help us in our process, as that’s what she does.
  • Annie – thank you to Cathy and her committee for all their work on the Major Project.  Perhaps we can pledge money to the library without a full plan from them in place.
  • Roberta Mason – there’s a fund raising group already in existence, Friends of the Library.  We’d want to be mindful of that if we decide to give money to the library.  Perhaps work in conjunction with them?
  • Cathy – she’d like a more concrete plan from the library before we pledge our money to them.
  • Natasha ended our meeting with suggesting a ½ day retreat.  She also suggested we have a Major Project reports at our board/business meetings to keep the membership informed.  We need transparency.
  • **THIS TRANSCRIPT IS ALSO AVAILABLE IN DROP BOX**
Please follow and like us:

Attendance Reminder

Just a reminder to all that your RSVP to the weekly attendance notice is important.  

  • We need to give Harrah’s numbers by 12:30 on the Monday before a meeting.  An accurate count keeps our expenses way down and helps Harrah’s plan the amount of food they need. 
  • Remember that if you register properly you will receive both an immediate acknowledgement at the site AND an email thanking you for registering.  
  • If you forget or think something is wrong, you can email or call me to get on the list. We always try to accommodate you.

Attendance Committee
Linda Mitchell     530-541-2635
lakecatt@gmail.com

**AND PLEASE LET US KNOW IF SOMETHING CHANGES AND YOU ARE UNABLE TO COME ONCE YOU HAVE REGISTERED! 

Please follow and like us: